Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair

Default Whole house "battery" wiring/power...

krw wrote:
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:53:18 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

krw wrote:
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 13:35:31 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

krw wrote:
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 20:51:14 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

James Sweet wrote:
My statement still stands. I've never seen a switching regulator
that ran at 1Mhz. Just because the chip is capable of 1Mhz does
not mean that that is the switching speed of the regulator. Most
of the design engineers I'm familiar with tend to be conservative.
Your opinion is not that important. Opinions are like tailpipes,
everyone has one, except for those like you who have theirs transposed
with their induction system. FLNF

TDD
While I don't condone is attitude, he is absolutely correct. MHz
switchers are common, have been in the field for years, and by the
demands for miniaturization are getting more common all the time. If you
don't believe me, pop open your PC, cell phone, PDA, etc and put a scope
on one of the DC-DC converters. Also with many of these chips, the
switching frequency is fixed and is not something the engineer has a
choice of. The duty cycle varies to regulate the output.

This is not something you'll find in the line operated power supply, but
applications like CPU core voltage which may have to supply less than 2V
at 50-80+ Amps (no, that's not a typo) from a 12V source where board
space is a valuable commodity, or applications needing extreme
miniaturization demand this sort of thing.
Thanks, I just looked at the products available from:

http://www.maxim-ic.com/

I've used their other products for years but I was not aware
of their switching regulator chips. The original discussion
concerned "SIMPLE" DC power supplies and some jerk chimed in
calling everyone stupid, etc.
Only because you (and DimBulb) *ARE* stupid, stupid.

BTW stupid, you don't get much simpler than a (part of a) chip,
inductor, capacitor, and two resistors.

My experience has been with the
switching power supplies in computers and test gear which is
what I thought the discussion was about.
Stupid, Sweet just said they're used in the core supplies of PCs.
Though I suppose actually reading what people write is a bit beyond
you.

I've never seen one
of those running at 1Mhz or more. A tiny regulator on a card
or motherboard running at 1Mhz or more is something new to me.
Heck, I learn something new everyday.
Engage brain before mouth, stupid.

Oh yea, I forgot, you talk out the other end. FLNF
You _are_ always wrong, just like ALwaysWrong. Are you related, just
lovers, or perhaps both?

When are you going to call me a Nazi? You just intimated that
I was a homosexual so go ahead, call me a Nazi.

You're clearly a Demonicrat. That's your style, stupid.

Oh man are you ever out in left field. You can't even spell
your insults. Besides, Republicans disgust me but Democrats
are special, they horrify me. Perhaps I should call you Dr.
Sung who's nickname was "Often Wrong". FLNF

TDD