Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default Bulding an outdoor basement stairway entrance

On Oct 11, 1:29*pm, "Beta-42" wrote:
"fftt" wrote in message

How often do you need to access this heater room? * How about an
adjacent "well" next to the existing one & drop in a prefab spiral
stair?

cheers
Bob

--------------------

Thanks for the suggestion. *The heater room has 3 gas-fired baseboard heater
units and 3 gas hot wanter heater units. *It's a 3-unit apartment building.
I have considered various other designs and layouts but, at least for now,
I'm trying to find out more about what the design I have in mind would
involve.

Before you move forward on any design (even getting guys out to bid)
you need to determine what you this change to accomplish.

Getting construction guys out to the site with nothing more in mind
than picking their brains and then doing the work yourself is why
construction guys (typically) give quick & dirty estimates (or are
unwilling to come out at all).

Of course with the economy slow it should be easy to get them to come
out but in reality it will probably not result in work for any of
them

I suggested the "extra stair well" because it requires less demo,
results in less disruption to the existing stairwell & the same new
construction.

If the new stair way is not just human access but machines as
well.....then oyu need to stick with the stairway modification.

cheers
Bob