Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Kilz Primer Quality Degradation?

"Jon Danniken" wrote in
:

Red Green wrote:
I've been using Kilz for years but I've noticed something. The timing
seems to be around the first of the year...during the financial
crisis...when everybody and their mother's uncle was jacking up
prices, cutting product sizes and whatever else to make up for people
cutting back on spending. *******s took the King Size Snicker bar,
split it into two pieces and the overall net weight was smaller.

Bought a gal back some. Had it shaken on the machine. Two days later
I opened it to use. Top was damn water. That NEVER happened before. I
brought the **** back. Got another can. Had it shaken and used right
afterwards. The **** dripped from the brush and surface. That NEVER
happened before. It used to be really thick. I've bought a couple of
cans at various times since. Same thing.

Someone posted something about Kilz once that it was loaded with
solids. I bought that statement because after putting it on something
it pretty much had a light roughness. If I wanted a smooth topcoat I
would run a sanding sponge over it quickly. Seems now that may not be
the case. So to me it seems they jacked up the price and severely cut
the quality.

Well there are two different "quality" tiers to kilz primer, maybe
they are marketing the good old stuff as "kilz premium" and thinning
it out for the non-premium so you can save five bucks a gallon.

I just picked up a can of the premium for twenty bucks,

Used to be able to get a 2gal bucket at HD for like 21 bucks...the old
thick stuff. Now you gotta pay extra for the old **** called Premium
which is just another method of jacking the **** of prices.

which is about
what I would expect to pay for a gallon of the stuff; the other
formulation seemed too low in price.

I'm slathering some on today (fascia boards getting prepped for vinyl
gutters) which was mixed at HD a few days ago, so I'll report back if
I have any issues with it.

Jon