Posted to alt.home.repair
fftt fftt is offline

Default Bulding an outdoor basement stairway entrance

On Oct 11, 4:20*am, aemeijers wrote:
fftt wrote:
On Oct 10, 10:16 am, "Beta-42" wrote:
fftt wrote:
On Oct 10, 8:52 am, "Beta-42" wrote:
I have a property that has an outdoor concrete stairway that leads
But then you start asking questions that indicate a total lack of
understanding of the details"
how to build the new wall & landing
footing design & construction
footing base
rebar
Get a couple guys out to look at the job. *I think you;re going to get
major "sticker shock".
Where are oyu located? *Oregon? Texas? New Jersey? * *Arizona?
The cost & the effort to do this.........is it really worth doing just
to eliminate those extra steps inside the basement?
I am in New Jersey, near Philadelphia, PA.

I do expect sticker shock, but I guess I'll just have to get a few
contractors out there to look at it and give me the low-down. *I do have
someone who can do the work and "mostly" knows what he is doing. *He can do
the dig out by machine, and he knows how to do most concrete and concrete
block work, but I don't have confidence that he knows the "details" that I
was asking about.

The two-door idea is for a different reason than just to elimnate the extra
steps in the basement. *The building is a rental property and the "basement"
is actually a lower level finished apartment. *I want to add a second door
that will be an outside entrance that would lead to the heater room so it
can be accessed directly from the outside without having to go into the
lower level apartment.

How often do you need to access this heater room? * How about an
adjacent "well" next to the existing one & drop in a prefab spiral
stair?

cheers
Bob

Pretty hard getting a new water heater or furnace down a spiral staircase....

--
aem sends...

That would be kinda hard. I was figuring on the "new access" being
used on a weekly or monthly basis and the "old access" being used for
the major stuff; water heater / furnace replacement"

Unfortunately the OP's desires & requirements are not fully disclosed.

cheers
Bob

btw...not that I'm suggesting it........ but you might be surprised
what can go up & down a spiral or curved stair.