Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Snow blower power ratings

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 11:00:05 -0400, "Worn Out Retread"
wrote:

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Worn Out Retread wrote:
I am looking for a new snow blower and have discovered that the power
rating of the engines are no longer in "Horse Power" but in "Foot Pounds"
if given at all. Sometimes all that is given is the CC's of the engine.

Even the people selling these machines don't know what the "Horse Power"
ratings are so that old geezers like myself can understand what is going
on. Does anyone have any general rules regarding the conversion of Foot
Pounds or CC's to Horse Power?

Hi,
It is all matter of useful HP and useful torque. HP rating is often very
misleading. If Peak HP occurs near top rpm it won't be good. I'd pay more
attention to torque. I still remember what I was told when I was a kid.
Torque is how big a stump an engine can pull, HP is how fast.

That is the point of the question asked. I want to buy a machine of at least
the same power as the old machine but the system of measurement has changed
so that creates a problem that I have to solve before parting with my money.

You have the tools now.
torqueXrpm/5252=HP
The old engine was rated at 3600 RPM - universally. So your new engine
torque X 3600 /5252 is the rating of old engine that is equivalent.

If it is an OHV engine it will usually have a broader power range, so
will do MORE work than the old side valve equivalent, and on less
fuel.