Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Speaking of home wood-related repairs...

I honestly want to know what the real number is. Since we had some
engineers come in here, saying they've conducted those types of tests,
I've been trying to ask them.

Have you honestly never seen those tests they do at labs (Underwriters'
Labs might be one example) where they take a material way beyond its
limits to see when it crack, shears, pulls apart, shatters, or whatever?

Apparently, Bob thinks I'm full of it for suggesting this happens.

--

-MIKE-

I'm far from superior....... I come to this newsgroup to learn stuff
(as I assume most others do)

when people (like you) post unsupported & unsupportable claims it
reduces the value of this forum

you asked for info, people provide it (you disbelieved it) ....you
were asked for cites or examples & you provided none...just more hand
waving

When you entered the discussion, you made it apparent that you were an
expert who had done testing like that, and that I was way off.

I wrote, "Cool. Any idea what it can take?" That's me moving on.

You gave me numbers. I didn't "disbelieve" anything. I tried to clarify
what the tests were and wanted to start a discussion about lab tests
that are done to test materials until they break, not until they lose
their grip in wood.

I suggesting that tests are done on materials that go way beyond what
those materials will ever handle in real life application and you called
that "nonsense."

It's clear to me that you're only interested in telling me how wrong I am.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--