Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Recessed door knobs

"Jack" wrote

I've got a little one who is just about at the right height to whack her
head on a protruding door knob. There is nothing I can do to change the
swing of the door to put the door knob inside the jam.

Heheh I'm a little suprised at some of the replies. I do not think it's a
bad thing if you have a particular trouble spot to cover it for a bit.

To flesh out ours, it was a protruding *glass* knob right at eyeball height
and on the hallway bathroom door. Other knobs matched it but were not in
problematic locations. This was definately a case of better safe than
sorry. Sure, we could have replaced that knob, but instead we just put
something over it which made it both safer *if* she hit it, and more visible
so she wouldnt.

Other things we did may seem insane to some here, made sense to *us*. Book
cases (I have over 3,000 books) got bolted to the walls. I generally have
6-7ft tall ones filled to the brim. Charlotte was a climber and so were the
cats. We bolted the wicker ones before Charlotte was born due to cats
pulling them down (fortunately they were not harmed, just scared a little).
When Charlotte hit crawling age, we bolted the rest. After she was walking,
if she pulled books out on her head, it was more of a 'see Charlotte, that
wasnt smart' but she couldnt pull a 100lb or so (adding books to the shelf
weight) onto herself.