Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Toilet issue, Moms

cshenk wrote:
"dpb" wrote
cshenk wrote:

Hi folks, this in from Mom. "comode is not holding water but fills
up fine but leaks out over time so must be refilled."
Ideas? She'd mean the toilet bowl not the tank.

Flapper valve

Wouldnt that affect the tank and make it sound like it's running all the
time? LOL, thanks for your patience. She lives a 6 hour drive so this
is a sort of 'distance support'. I recommended she change that though
just in case. Its a real easy fix if related! She's just never done
the plumming part of the work when we fixed up houses for sale. That
was almost exclusively my older sister's job.

Was presuming this was communication gap. They can seep so slowly never
hear it until it does finally reach level it refills.

If it really is bowl level, does it fully refill on flush? If not, may
be sediment buildup in supply holes.

If it really is the bowl level dropping w/o the tank between flushes it
has to either be siphoning, leaking or vacuum pulling water out as
someone else mentioned (if the pet, evaporation, etc., other external
causes are excluded).

Sounds like time to send in the sister...