Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Speaking of home wood-related repairs...

J. Clarke wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
fftt wrote:
On Oct 10, 4:54 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
depends on the loading conditions & assembly
an ultimate number or an allowable (like a working load) number?
allowable in timber like ~100lbs
ultimate load in timber, probably 400lbs
ultimate load in a test machine...depending on the steel
condition / alloy; maybe 800+ lbs
cheers
Bob
I'm not talking about working loads or allowable anything... I
never was.

I'm talking about the weight requite to shear (tear off like being
cut, or whatever the proper scientific terminology is) a 16d nail.

Is that what that 800 number is?
Can you point me to any video.pics on the web that show the
machine/test.

Are you asking about the nail ...all by itself, no timber? Mounted
in steel test machine by some sort of fixturing?

A 16d nail has about .02 sq in cross section (as per another poster's
calc) ....so pick your nail material ultimate shear stress &
mutlitply by .02

But the shear strength of a 16d nail isolated by itself in a test
machine is pretty meaningless since a 16d nail will never be used in
that fashion unless you plan to use it as a shear pin in a lawn
mower.

cheers
Bob

Yes, the test situation, mounted in a testing machine.
There are a lot of testing situations that never happen in the real
world, but they still do the tests. :-)

If you're testing shear strength then you need to make up a fixture that
fits the nail, with a nail-sized hole in it. Seems like a strange thing to
do when a nail would not normally be used that way. Do you recall the
circumstances under which the test was conducted?

I'm not trying to justify my number, despite what douche bag Bob says to
try to make himself feel superior in some way.

I honestly want to know what the real number is. Since we had some
engineers come in here, saying they've conducted those types of tests,
I've been trying to ask them.

Have you honestly never seen those tests they do at labs (Underwriters'
Labs might be one example) where they take a material way beyond its
limits to see when it crack, shears, pulls apart, shatters, or whatever?

Apparently, Bob thinks I'm full of it for suggesting this happens.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--