Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Chronos digital readouts

I'm fairly certain that there are no dip switches to adjust for errors in
your digital scale.

I've had my digtal calipers apart, and they are esentially the same product
as your digital scale.

There aren't dip switches in reader heads of any popular brand of DRO scales
that I've seen, which have been most brand names (with the exception of 2
brand names that I can think of).
All of the DRO sets that I've seen that have been manufactured since about
1980, have had error compensation settings entered into the DRO firmware by
keypad entry.

There may have been some old models from the 1960s with dip switches in the
reader head, but all the more recent designs have been manufactured to
minimize the size of the heads (and the heads are liquid-tight sealed (no
reason for users to open them).

--
WB
metalworking projects

"AdeV" wrote in message

I nearly bought a Chinese mill after most of the Bridgeport (and
Bridgeport types) I was watching ended up going for "silly" money
(silly=out of my range). I got lucky/unlucky with my machine: Lucky it
wasn't too dear, unlucky in that it's got some interesting wear issues,
and the head seized the 2nd time I used it. Fortunately, liberal
applicastions of moly grease to the main bearing in the pulley block has
restored normal - albeit noisy - operation.

Aye, I'll give them a go. I've bought a few hundred pounds worth of
stuff off them recently, so I'm hoping it'll go at least moderately
well...

It's either that, or the measuring unit increments by the wrong amount
at each mark; which is I think what Gunner was getting at in his reply.
Whilst it's tempting to go dip-switch diving, I'm not sure I want to
take the thing apart until Chronos have had the opportunity to
rectify...

--
Cheers!
Ade.