Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default conduit puller

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I'm probably buying a used high tunnel or greenhouse this week...

The hoops are made of tubing and the ends have been drove in the ground.
Pulling these out without crushing will be a trick. I've got to do it 50
times. Worth making some sort of contraption. I know the O.D. is nominally
1.6" but not sure of exact number.

I could drill the O.D. between two steel blocks and then use 1/4" bolts to
clamp together. Then a loop of light chain to go around a long 2x4 for a

pry
bar. This would work but it would be slow.

Better ideas?

How deep are the tubes in the ground?

What kind of soil?

My thought would be to use a shovel and pry up from the bottom if it is not
too deep and the soil is not hard pan.

Another alternative would be to use a tubing cutter to lop off the tubes,
and then make short sections to replace the ends. A circumstance that this
might be your best bet is if the ends of the tubes are set into concrete
below ground level.

Not sure if these ideas are any better so they are submitted for what there
worth.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.