Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Cutting a tile in situ

John Rumm wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Is there anything a multimaster can't do?

Plenty, but it is good for mopping up a collection of jobs that are
hard to do by other means...

I wonder how many tiles the carbide blade would have cut before
giving up the ghost.

Don't know - I am still using the one that came with the machine.
Hacing said that - I don't use it that often. Its good for tiles in
situ and raking out old grout.

I may need to find a way to cut round the edge of a new slate hearth
which was laid on the original 1920s hearth tiles.

http://i38.tinypic.com/ev5010.jpg

Sorry about the size of the photo, but the old tiles and floorboards
are currently flush, so I could use matching timber to "extend" the
floor boards (albeit by reducing the thickness) but obviously I
can't be whacking the tiles that close to the slate. Can't help
thinking it would

Would you need to whack them if just extending the boards over?

The tiles have got to go because they're flush with the top of the
boards, and I reckon I need at least 10mm depth to fill in with wood

Ah, ok, thought you were keeping them - my bad.

If they must come up, then rake out the grout (aforementioned carbide
blade), and clobber gently from the side to see if you can shock them
loose!

You could do a hardwood inlay, neatly mitred at the corners, to
separate the new tiles from the existing boards. It would save it
looking like you extended the floor boards and could not quite match
them ;-)

I might end up doing a softwood inlay, which might be fun :-)

Or design some sort of wood trim to cover the lot ;-)

Or get an adjustable fender to cover the lot, possibly with little
leatherette seats at the corners and toasting forks.