Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default moving a piece of electrical conduit

" wrote in message
I've been attempting to install a new ceiling fan in my bathroom. the
motor in the old one started making noise, and it was about 20+ years
old...so I figured an upgrade was in order.

I live in an old loft building, where I access the fan from above my
bathroom (there is a crawlspace above the bathroom) but the rest of
the loft is open.

I'm trying to not have to pull down the sheetrock in my bathroom in
order to swap out this fan or otherwise make repairs. To be honest,
I'm not the best with drywalling a ceiling..and that is a bit involved
for just swapping out a ceiling fan right?

Anyway...their is a piece of metal conduit that was running next to
the old fan. I need to move that conduit by 2 inches in order for the
new fan to fit. The metal conduit is connected to another piece about
3 inches behind the fan...my inclination is to disconnect the conduit
from the extension, and replace it with a piece of flexible conduit.
that will allow me to go nicely around the new fan.

can I connect a piece of flex conduit to a piece of regular conduit (I
assume I will use a junction box)?
can I assume that because I have flex, I can run it diagonally and not
have to worry that the wires won't make it?

I've been making bad assumptions about this project from the
outset...so I thought those on the interweb could help me out.

thanks in advance

For two inches, I would try loosening up the straps on the pipe, carefully
bend it out of the way, then reattach it.