Posted to uk.d-i-y
Kevin Poole[_7_] Kevin Poole[_7_] is offline

Default Oak mouldings

John Rumm wrote:
Jon Connell wrote:
I'm struggling to locate some oak mouldings for a grandfather clock. I
need a coving shape in white oak, around 50mm square, but the closest
I've got is much smaller mouldings or custom ones that people seem
unwilling to quote me on (probably because I only need 6 feet or so).
Does anyone know a supplier who will do small amounts of bespoke
mouldings or has something off-the-shelf that will do?

Custom sized cove can be made on a table saw...

Radial arm saws work well, too, with easy control of arm angle and blade
-to-table height. I start with a length of oak board, say an inch or so
thick, form the concave moulding first, then rip both sides of the
moulding to a 45 degree chamfer. It's much easier to work with a
flat-backed moulding than one which started out as a square section,
uses less timber, and is almost certainly how the clock would have been
made originally.

--
Kevin Poole
****Use current date to reply (e.g. )****