Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Speaking of home wood-related repairs...

Richk wrote:
allowable in timber like ~100lbs

ultimate load in timber, probably 400lbs

Ok - I'll chime in . . Structural Engineer, with degrees and official
License who has designed many buildings.

the 90# for a 16d box nail is about right on . . to start with.
There's a lot of factors that could increase or decrease that number
by a factor of two or so depending on exactly what's going on and what
kind of loads you are holding up (for example:short duration loads
like wind, multiply by 1.6; hot, wet conditions might be multiplied by
about 0.6 or so)

This was never the issue, nor what I was referring to.
I was speaking of the weight required to shearing off the nail.

Steel strength for get's pretty meaningless since it's wood that
always fails in a proper joint, but the minimum steel yield strength
for both nails and wood screw is 70,000 psi to 100,000 psi.

Can you explain this more?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)