Posted to rec.woodworking
fftt fftt is offline

Default Speaking of home wood-related repairs...

On Oct 10, 10:07*am, -MIKE- wrote:
fftt wrote:
On Oct 9, 3:42 pm, -MIKE- wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
dpb wrote:
IN ANY CASE, this irrelevant detail has nothing to do with my
original point that a nail is many, many, many, many times stronger
that a fu@&!ng screw! forest, trees? hello? anyone home?
How do you reach that astounding conclusion in general?
The relative strength of a nail and a screw will depend on their
relative sizes and the material of which each is made and has
little, if anything, to do w/ the difference between simply being a
nail or screw...
How?
Drive a common 16d nail 2/3 into a 2x4.
Do the same with a common screw of the same diameter shaft.
Take sledge hammer and swing it directly down on the nail. *It will
bend. Do the same to the screw. *It will "shear" right off.
You're confusing impact strength with shear strength.
I'm not. *It relates enough to get the point across.

I've seen the tests, I've sat through the lectures.

bye

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Mike-

If these tests & lectures were involved in process that lead to a
technical degree (physics or engineering)....please let me know so I
can notify your alma mater to begin the "degree recall process".

You have, in the later part of this thread, violated "the first rule
of holes"..........which is "stop digging".

shear & impact tests are used to determine different properties....

btw find that 16,000 lb number yet?

cheers
Bob

Bob, I heard you the first time.
Do you know what the number (lbs) is, since you ran the tests?

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

depends on the loading conditions & assembly

an ultimate number or an allowable (like a working load) number?

allowable in timber like ~100lbs

ultimate load in timber, probably 400lbs

ultimate load in a test machine...depending on the steel
condition / alloy; maybe 800+ lbs

cheers
Bob