Diane

Default Jig for Cutting circles on a bandsaw

Go to http://store.yahoo.com/plansnow/shopjigs.html

This is the site for the shopnotes magazine. On that page is a bunch of
jigs. The band saw circular cutting jig is about half way down. It works
ok, but use aluminum instead of plastic to make the 'I' slide.

Eddie

"Bill Thomas" wrote in message
Greetings,

Almost, but not quite there. You build this jig as a sled with
a runner to go in the miter gauge slot of the table and a
block of wood on bottom on the operator edge to stop it
at the same place everytime. The stopping point should
occur where a straight line from the pin to the blade forms
a right angle with the cut in the sled.

You mount your blank on the pin,
slide the jig so it cuts a tangent to the circle when it hits
the stop. Then you just spin the blank to get your circle.

The solution changes for very large circles. What size of
radius do you want to cut?

Sincerely,
Bill Thomas
Jim McLaughlin wrote:

I am looking for a photo / web site / written description of the

making
of a jig for use on a band saw for cutting circles.

The idea is that you use an auxiliary table with a "Pin" in it, set

the
pin at distance D/2 from the blade edge, mount the center point of the
material you want to cut the circle from on the "pin at one radius or

1/2
Diameter of the circle you want, and slowly "spin" the material on the

pin
as a center point. The material goes into the blade, and you get your
circle.

My geometry is fine, but I'm having trouble rigging up the

mechanical
mounting for the auxiliary table.

Pointers appreciated.

Thank you.

--
Jim McLaughlin

Please don't just hit the reply key.
Remove the obvious from the address to reply.