Posted to alt.home.repair
starrin starrin is offline

Default Replacement Gas Fired Boiler -Which one

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 18:38:28 -0400, "Lefty"
wrote:

"ransley" wrote in
snip
. I would go to "The Wall" and ask
whats reliable, Weil Mclain has a good name.

I was going to say the Weil-McLain 98% unit is really nice, but the OP said
he had no interest in the high-efficient jobs, and did'nt ask about that
brand name :-/
Other lower efficiency W-McL units are good though, too.

I forgot to say that I had a W-Mcl bid on a CGT5, but a recommendation
for their Ultra 105, with an indirect tank. I may get a rebate, but
the extra cost will eat it up.
Plus, I am concerned about the 15 year warranty on the aluminum
innards, while research indicates these boilers are subject to
corrosion problems.
To keep ahead of that, a gent who owns one tells me that W.McL says
water must best tested yearly, and that feed water (i.e. city water)
must meet certain specs for ph, salinity and hardness. Doesn't sound
too trouble free to me.
Thanks, you have me thinking
starrin