Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default Speaking of home wood-related repairs...

There are fairly rare occasions when the sheer value of a nail is
necessary to know. I was given the number 90# in sheer for a 16d
box nail once when it really did matter, this number was from a
structural engineer who I am sure had quite a safety factor in his
figures. Of course, common nails are higher.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
fftt wrote:
On Oct 9, 9:36 am, -MIKE- wrote:
fftt wrote:
Huh? Care to take another try?
Do you mean the nail material has an allowable shear stress
of 16,000
psi (lbs / sq in) ?
No. I mean it takes 16,000lbs to shear a nail.

Have you seen those tests they do with the giant machines that
hold
piece of whatever in one jaw while the other jaw pushes or
pulls or
tears the other end. This shear test has both jaws right next
to each
other, coplanar, while one jaw moves down, perpendicular to
the length
of the nail.

Because the code allowable shear loading (last time I
checked) for a
16d common is somewhere in the 150 lb range
I'm guessing that has to do with how much weight is allowed,
by code, to
be held by a single nail. That has nothing to do with the
shear
strength limit of the nail. If the two were the same, then
every house
would collapse before finished.

You and I can exertmuchmore than 150lbs with our bare hands.

Mike-

I know all about "those giant machines".......I ran a research
lab for
nearly 20 years, we had one.

And there is NO WAY a single 16d name can do ANYTHING that
involves
16,000 lbs other than be destroyed at a WAY lower number.

You're latest post is mostly nonsense.

cheers
Bob

Cool. Any idea what it can take?

--

-MIKE-

"Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in
life"
--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com