Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default The revolution has started!

John Rumm wrote:
Frank Erskine wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 23:25:10 +0100, had
this to say:

The thing with WD40 is I agree its not designed for large components
and mainly we used it on small mechanisms and you used nearly half a
can mainly as flushing agent, but it does work as a lubricant.

How can a 'flushing agent' also act as a lubricant? The idea of a
lubricant is that it forms a coating on the working surfaces - a
'flushing agent' removes any coatings.

It may appear to lubricate short term, but that's just because it's
wetting the surfaces - water would probably be just as effective.

Practical experience would suggest otherwise though. In non demanding
applications it lubricates well enough - e.g. a squeaking hinge will
stop squeaking for a couple of years, before it needs another quick
squirt. I am sure water would not have the same effect.

The clutch pedal on my car squeaks when I lift my foot up. I took it to
the garage and they sprayed it with, you guessed, WD40. 9 months later,
it started to squeak again. Next week, I am going to take it back again
with the *lubricant* of my own choice. ** either mollypaul, or an
Aeroshell grease.

Dave