Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Whole house "battery" wiring/power...

James Sweet wrote:

(snip)

Incidentally, I read a few years back that it wasn't until the late
1990s that the last DC service was disconnected from a building,
somewhere in NY I think. I was amazed by how long it remained in use.

Servicing some legacy elevator motors or building water pumps, IIRC.
Wikipedia has a pretty good writeup, linked from the 'current wars'
articles. Isn't their subway system still DC? I would never want to live
in NYC (or any huge city), but I do find the historical stuff about
their physical infrastructure quite fascinating. The occasional show on
History, Discovery, or similar channels always sets me off on an
internet hunt. If I could get shows like that on over-the-air TV (like
PBS in the old days), I'd probably get rid of my satt service.

--
aem sends...