Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
James Sweet[_3_] James Sweet[_3_] is offline

Default Whole house "battery" wiring/power...

Have you had any experience with high frequency AC power systems?
I've come across 400hz AC power in some old computer installations
and seen a lot of military surplus aircraft power equipment that
used 400hz AC power. My assumption has always been that higher the
frequency, the smaller the mass of the transformers not only making
equipment smaller but lighter.

TDD

That's exactly it. 400Hz power has been standard in aircraft for many
decades. Not only are the transformers smaller and lighter, but the
generators and motors too, and the filter capacitors in power supplies.

It's the reason switchmode power supplies run in the tens of kHz, and
some small ones are running as high as 1MHz. As the frequency increases,
switching losses in the semiconductors increase, but the size of the
energy storage components (inductors, transformers, capacitors)
decreases. A 60Hz transformer capable of supplying 300W might 15 lbs,
but a 20kHz transformer capable of the same power is less than a pound
and far more compact.