Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
AdeV AdeV is offline

Default Chronos digital readouts

Richard J Kinch may or may not have intoned:
AdeV writes:

I haven't yet verified it has the same error when reading metric, but I
guess that's the next step.

Seems like you should be checking against a dial indicator rather than the
handwheels.

I have measured & verified the error (at 0.100" at any rate) using a
depth micrometer, as described in another post. Also, the handwheel on
the Z-axis appears to be remarkably accurate. It's possible the X & Y
wheels are accurate too, but I never use them - I have a DRO for those
axis. The Chronos unit was supposed to add a Z-axis DRO, but I can't use
it with a 4% error.

Yesterday, I checked the metric readings & found the same issue - i.e. a
slot of 2.54mm (according to the scale) was 0.1035" deep (instead of
0.100"). Not sure where the 5 tenths went, maybe it gets more accurate
as you use it...

Unfortunately, my depth mic only reads in imperial, which is why I chose
2.54mm...

--
Cheers!
Ade.