Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Y Plan problems

ARWadsworth wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
YAPH wrote:

I'd actually tried hanging a resistor across switched-live thinking
that might cure it and was quite surprised at the capacitor
suggestion, but it did the trick and the system's been sweet as a
nut since then. Odd thing is the system had been up and running
happily for a couple of years before the problem showed up (and it
was one of my installs so I'm pretty sure nothing had changed in
that time).

Can you please explain "across switched live". What does the other
side connect to, and how does it fix the problem?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Connected across to neutral. The switched live stayed at 90V when the
last call was from the CH.

The cap that Geoff so kindly posted to me dropped the voltage to 3V
(readings made with a DVM) after the CH was no longer called for.

As to how it fixes the problem then you need Geoff or John to answer.
It is long time ago that I did electronics.

Adam

Yes, I see - thanks. Whatever the exact electronics explanation, it
apparently reduces the switched live voltage to a very low value so that the
boiler is no longer fooled into firing when it shouldn't.
--
Cheers,
Roger