Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default The revolution has started!

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 04:44:59 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 23:25:10 +0100, had
this to say:

The thing with WD40 is I agree its not designed for large components
and mainly we used it on small mechanisms and you used nearly half a
can mainly as flushing agent, but it does work as a lubricant.

How can a 'flushing agent' also act as a lubricant? The idea of a
lubricant is that it forms a coating on the working surfaces - a
'flushing agent' removes any coatings.

It may appear to lubricate short term, but that's just because it's
wetting the surfaces - water would probably be just as effective.

Practical experience would suggest otherwise though. In non demanding
applications it lubricates well enough - e.g. a squeaking hinge will
stop squeaking for a couple of years, before it needs another quick
squirt. I am sure water would not have the same effect.

Water can be better than 'dry' for as long as there's enough of it but, as
you say, it don't last long! 15 hours cycling in rain showed me that the
chain would remain quiet whilst wet - then the rain stopped...
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.