Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Stair tread replacement

aemeijers wrote:
Bernie Hunt wrote:
dpb,

Sorry about the size. I took them with my cell phone so the'd be
smaller than the 10mb slr.

The risers and stringers are going to be painted.

Almost certainly that is _NOT_ a stringer; it's a skirtboard and isn't
anything but cosmetic.

Take it off

You bring up an interesting point.

I told ya' I done this before...

...I may be able to bust out the upper
riser between the two bad stairs. That might give access to the upper
and lower tread for clamping. I would then just have to replace that
riser. I'll experiement and see if I can tell if that riser sits ontop
of the lower tread. If it does then I may be able to get it out.

Precisely altho you almost certainly don't need to tear much of it up or
out; particularly if you're going to paint all that is needed is an access.

I'd still first make sure that it isn't pretty much a no-brainer to
remove the skirtboard(s), raise the tread, take it to the jointer and
renew the jointing surfaces and reglue then put it back.

At worst you make a new skirt but given the shape the one is in w/ the
dings and all, that's no loss.