Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair
Don Kelly[_2_] Don Kelly[_2_] is offline

Default Whole house "battery" wiring/power...

"Stuart" wrote in message
In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Have you had any experience with high frequency AC power systems?
I've come across 400hz AC power in some old computer installations
and seen a lot of military surplus aircraft power equipment that
used 400hz AC power. My assumption has always been that higher the
frequency, the smaller the mass of the transformers not only making
equipment smaller but lighter.

Very common (standard?) in aircraft.

In addition to smaller generator/motor and transformer sizes and weights
for a given power, the 400Hz machines can be driven at higher speeds
eliminating some or all gearing in high rpm aircraft usage (up to 24000
rpm at 400 Hz
vs up to 3600 rpm at 60 Hz. ).
For aircraft the distances involved are short so that inductance and
capacitance are not a problem .

In general, for land based applications the advantages are outweighed by the
disadvantages because of the distances involved.

Switching power supplies were not an option in those days.

--
Don Kelly

cross out to reply