Posted to alt.home.repair
Bernie Hunt[_2_] Bernie Hunt[_2_] is offline

Default Stair tread replacement

dpb,

Sorry about the size. I took them with my cell phone so the'd be smaller
than the 10mb slr.

The risers and stringers are going to be painted.

So see the damage, look at eithe picture and find the glue joint closet to
the back riser. That glue joint has failed. The other tread has two failed
glue joints. FWIR it's the first and second glue joints nearest to the
riser. Either way it's deep into the tread.

You bring up an interesting point. I may be able to bust out the upper riser
between the two bad stairs. That might give access to the upper and lower
tread for clamping. I would then just have to replace that riser. I'll
experiement and see if I can tell if that riser sits ontop of the lower
tread. If it does then I may be able to get it out.

Bernie

"dpb" wrote in message
Bernie Hunt wrote:
The problem has existed for a while, but I couldn't get authorization to
remove the carpet. The stairs are not going to be recarpeted, they will
get sanded, recoated with poly, and remain bare.

I went and looked at one of the pictures; w/ my dialup the high resolution
takes too long to load to look at both but what I notice is the
following--

1 -- The skirtboard is a pretty ordinary piece of painted (appears to be)
pine; I'd begin by looking at either removing the whole piece whole, do
repairs and replace or if that turns out problematical, remove a section
and repair it. That will be far easier patch to hide than trying to whack
up something in the tread itself.

2 -- the risers aren't oak; therefore they aren't going to match/stain
well w/ the tread anyway unless you face them. Ergo, they're also
dispensable for access and far easier to repair unobtrusively than the
tread.

3 -- still would be helpful to see the actual damage intended to be
repaired to get an idea of what actually is to be required. I wouldn't
have specific repair plan w/o knowing what it was that was trying to
repair.

I am, given 2), wondering what your intended finish is for the risers.