Posted to alt.home.repair
Bernie Hunt[_2_] Bernie Hunt[_2_] is offline

Default Stair tread replacement

cshenk,

That's the direction I'm headed. Get the old stair out and then brace all
the way around underneath. The left side of the stairwell, when assending,
is a wall all the way to the ceiling. The right side stops at floor level on
the second floor. So people will be looking to the right as the accend the
steps. I'll flll the left side dado so it's flush with the surface on the
stringer. Then I'll cut the new step to fit in the right side dado and lie
on the new cleat on the left side.

The one I showed you will be the easier one, the upper stair has the knwel
post sitting on it. I'll have to look at removing it.

Bernie

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Bernie Hunt" wrote

Getting the old tread out will be messy but quite possible. I figure to
plunge cut into the middle with either a circular saw or a Fien with the
right blade. My question is how to get the new tread installed?

Thanks for the pics Bernie, helped alot. Worked on a house once with a
stairwell that looked much like that. The 'top stringer' that showed was
cosmetic. The real only support member was underneath. We removed it as
it was ugly and warped. Then we put corner molding along both sides.
(the risers were flush to the steps so this wasnt that hard).

Assuming however the 'stringer' isnt cosmetic (since you have a better
view in person, you'd know), then I'd take out the bad wood and cut a
replacement that will drop down and fit, but won't have the one side fit
into the stringer (fill that portion in with something).

Support by strong brackets to the bottom stringer (apply brackets, then
drop stair on them after fitting in at the other end). If the risers are
properly supported, put more brackets on the bottom of the stair. With
careful measuring, you can get a tight 'fit' so the stair doesnt wiggle
(in any direction) and with predrilled holes, you can attach to the lower
riser then cover with some sort of wood putty.

Cosmetics, I'd carefully paint the risers and restain the steps. The
risers do not appear to be the same level of pretty wood that the steps
are.