Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Stair tread replacement

Bernie Hunt wrote:
The tread you can see is the picture is split in the first seam out from the
riser. The stair above it has two seams that failed, the second and third
out from the tread. This places the failure in the higher tread right in the
middle of the tread.

Bernie

"Mike rock" wrote in message
Where are the treads split? I can't tell from the pics.

1. Temporarily screw an L-shaped cleat the the riser above the cracked
step. If there is a center stringer, you can put a big honking screw in
there. Thick metal would be best, but hardwood would work.
2. Invent some clamps out of threaded rod and whatever hardware or
fittings you have in your junk box or can buy, to go from the L-shaped
cleat to the bullnose at the front of the tread, that can pull tight but
not trash the wood. At least 2 rods, but 3 would be better, and
something to spread the pressure evenly along the front.
3. Inject glue in the cracks. Tighten the clamps, and leave in place for
a day or two.
4. Remove clamps and cleat, putty the screwholes, sand and refinish to suit.

I see nothing urgent about the repair- the cracks are trivial.
Personally, I'd probably just add a few nails through drilled pilot
holes, and seal the crack with something non-shiny the same color as the
wood, and forget about it. Cracks like that are not a safety hazard or
anything- the step will hold as much weight as it ever did.

--
aem sends...