Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Stair tread replacement

"Bernie Hunt" wrote

Getting the old tread out will be messy but quite possible. I figure to
plunge cut into the middle with either a circular saw or a Fien with the
right blade. My question is how to get the new tread installed?

Thanks for the pics Bernie, helped alot. Worked on a house once with a
stairwell that looked much like that. The 'top stringer' that showed was
cosmetic. The real only support member was underneath. We removed it as it
was ugly and warped. Then we put corner molding along both sides. (the
risers were flush to the steps so this wasnt that hard).

Assuming however the 'stringer' isnt cosmetic (since you have a better view
in person, you'd know), then I'd take out the bad wood and cut a replacement
that will drop down and fit, but won't have the one side fit into the
stringer (fill that portion in with something).

Support by strong brackets to the bottom stringer (apply brackets, then
drop stair on them after fitting in at the other end). If the risers are
properly supported, put more brackets on the bottom of the stair. With
careful measuring, you can get a tight 'fit' so the stair doesnt wiggle (in
any direction) and with predrilled holes, you can attach to the lower riser
then cover with some sort of wood putty.

Cosmetics, I'd carefully paint the risers and restain the steps. The risers
do not appear to be the same level of pretty wood that the steps are.