Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Speaking of home wood-related repairs...

J. Clarke wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
dpb wrote:
IN ANY CASE, this irrelevant detail has nothing to do with my
original point that a nail is many, many, many, many times stronger
that a fu@&!ng screw! forest, trees? hello? anyone home?
How do you reach that astounding conclusion in general?

The relative strength of a nail and a screw will depend on their
relative sizes and the material of which each is made and has
little, if anything, to do w/ the difference between simply being a
nail or screw...

How?

Drive a common 16d nail 2/3 into a 2x4.
Do the same with a common screw of the same diameter shaft.

Take sledge hammer and swing it directly down on the nail. It will
bend. Do the same to the screw. It will "shear" right off.

You're confusing impact strength with shear strength.

I'm not. It relates enough to get the point across.

I've seen the tests, I've sat through the lectures.

bye

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)