Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Rockwell planer, any comments on this beast 13x6

KD7HB wrote:

Therefore, the only way I can imagine the table breaking is if one or
more of the cutting blades came out while the unit was operating and
the resulting hammering broke the table.

I have one of these and that scenario is impossible to break a
table--it'd make a helluva a racket but a tool steel knive 1/8" thick
will simply snap and the gibs are soft.

What, specifically, cause a break I don't know of course, but it's
possible there was a manufacturing defect that took a long time to show
up (these guys went out of production in the early 80s or so), but I'd
wager it was tipped sometime. They're big and heavy enough and a little
top-heavy and the tables project so it would land directly on one end or
the other and leave no other visible damage quite easily.

IMO it's almost certainly as good as new once he replaces the damaged table.

If the blades are out,
examine the rotor and the blade slots carefully for damage. Also the
bearings of the rotor for damage. Are the blade adjusting screws still
there?

If possible, use a dial indicator to check the rotor for roundness. If
you can't get an indicator in there, use a machinist jack screw to
almost touch the rotor and a light behind it while you rotate the
rotor.

The cutterhead assembly is simply finished as it comes off the lathe;
it's not polished or terribly true; they were balanced at the factory by
strategically removing a little material w/ a drill.

If it had any sort of major accident like you're postulating, it'll be
obvious from a very casual look; won't need any fancy measurements.

As for the ruggedness w/ wood, these are a small but industrial-strength
machine; they don't have any problem w/ up to 6" hardwoods. They're a
whole different class of machine than the current popular
portables--just the infeed table alone probably weighs more than an
entire portable.