Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default The revolution has started!

Jules wrote:
On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 20:15:33 +0100, Dave Osborne wrote:
Apart from generally being bad, WD40 has a tendency to get onto the
key and then stain your hands/clothes, so it's a bad idea for this reason
alone.
Then why do Yale reccommend WD40 in black & white? Arrrrghh!

Ignorance on the part of the marketing dept.?

Or the makers of WD40 paid them a handsome sum to have their product
mentioned in the Yale literature, and greed took over?

It's only use is in being half-assed at lots of jobs, making it useful in
situations where it's not practical to carry armfuls of alternate and
better products around - but personally I don't touch it for anything
that I care about or won't be quickly stripping down, cleaning, and
re-lubing with something more appropriate for the job.

It's not so often you are wrong.

But you are right here. :-)

The quality of lubricants available to the public is not a patch on
lubricants used in the aerospace industry.

Take greases, the soaps that are used in them are far, far, superior to
those available for cars etc. I have a jar of grease that came from an
out of date container (1). It has stood on my shed shelf for about 15
years and it is still as soft as it was then. No drying at all.

(1) Glass jar that has been open to the atmosphere all the time. I
wouldn't use it for any bearings though.
Out of date? Oil lies under the earth's crust for millions of years, it
gets processed into oils and greases and as soon as it enters the
aerospace industry, a life label gets slapped on it lifing it to 12 months.

Dave