Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default The revolution has started!

Frank Erskine wrote:

I was in engineering for about 40 years (and still potter) and never
found it to be a panacea. OK, it does small jobs after a fashion but
it's never been a proper engineering solution (no pun intended) for
anything other than a quick handyman-type fix.

I worked in engineering for 48 years and 25 of those were in the
aerospace industry. While in the latter, I had access to all the oil and
grease books and specifications. Oil was always preceded with O. Grease
with G. Lithium products with L.

Water dispersant's were *always* preceded with WD.

The reason water dispersant's were used was that when aircraft wings
were completed and painted, because they bend up and down all the time,
the paint can crack around the bolts and rivets used on the lower
surface of the wings and they could harbour water under the countersunk
heads, which would cause corrosion if not removed. It was usual to spray
a water dispersant onto the under wing skins on a regular basis.

For locks I would use either PTFE spray or, preferably, graphite
powder lock lubricant.

That is my choice as well.

For penetrating (oo-er!) I'd use PlusGas.

I fail to see how a penetrating fluid can also act as a lubricant...

Imagine using Diesel as a lubricant :-)

Dave