Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Stair tread replacement

On Oct 9, 11:21*am, "Bernie Hunt" wrote:
The tread you can see is the picture is split in the first seam out from the
riser. The stair above it has two seams that failed, the second and third
out from the tread. This places the failure in the higher tread right in the
middle of the tread.

Bernie

"Mike rock" wrote in message

Where are the treads split? I can't tell from the pics.- Hide quoted text -

While I would probably opt for the "fix from below method then
replaster" method, I'll toss out a few other ideas.

Will you be replacing the carpet (wall to wall) leaving the treads
bare, or installing a runner or tread strips?

Replacing the carpet wall to wall opens up options that would be
fairly simple since the tread/wall junction doesn't have to match the
others.

1 - Remove the old tread
2 - Attach some cleats to the wall below
3 - Glue and screw a new tread to the cleats
4 - Cover with carpet to hide the tread/trim junction, or even carpet
the trim.

If you will be leaving the treads bare (or using a runner or carpet
strips) then one possibility for a split that far back is to:

1 - * Drill a series of holes into the face on the tread with a long
bit
2 - Inject glue into the split
3 - Insert and glue some long hardwood dowels
4 - Rig up a clamping system to hold the split closed
5 - Sand the dowel ends (or plug/putty the holes) to finish the
bullnose.

* Obviously the hardest part is drilling straight into the tread while
keeping the drill on the same plane as the tread. Maybe some type of
jig would help with this part of the process.

Another option might be to:

1 - Remove the old tread
2 - Cross-cut a new tread into 2 sections
3 - Glue and screw a piece of hardwood or plywood to the underside of
one section, extending it so it will overlap the cross cut seam.
4 - Insert this section into the dado
5 - Insert the other section into the dado on the other side and slide
both pieces towards each other to the close the seam
6 - Glue and screw the second section to the support piece, obviously
from the top.
7 - Plug/putty the screw holes and cover with a runner or tread
strips.

Obviously the more that the lower support piece extends beyond the
seam, the more glue/screws you can use and the stronger it will be.