Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Stair tread replacement

On Oct 9, 9:40*am, George wrote:
On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 00:35:54 -0400, "Bernie Hunt"
wrote:

I removed the carpet from our stairs and there are two treads that are
split. I don't have access to the bottom due to a plaster ceiling
underneath. The treads are high on the flight so both ends of the tread are
encapsulated in a dado in the stringer. I'd like to remove and replace the
treads.

I did this on ours, but from the bottom. *Plastering can be a rewarding
experience. *Anyway, ...

I glued and screwed a piece of 3/4" plywood into the bottom of the
damaged treads, and then cleated that to the stair frame. *(Be sure the
screws don't poke through.) *I also screwed the risers into the back of
the treads.

So far (3 yrs), this has held up.

Something tells me that if I ever have to get under my stairs to
repair a damaged tread or 2, and then have to replace the drywall/
plaster, I'm gonna add supports under *every* tread so I never have to
go under there again.

All else being equal, if 1 or 2 treads split, I gotta assume others
will. Even if they weren't going to before, they will as soon as I
close up the opening.

God's like that sometimes.