Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Stair tread replacement

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 00:35:54 -0400, "Bernie Hunt"
wrote:

I removed the carpet from our stairs and there are two treads that are
split. I don't have access to the bottom due to a plaster ceiling
underneath. The treads are high on the flight so both ends of the tread are
encapsulated in a dado in the stringer. I'd like to remove and replace the
treads.

I did this on ours, but from the bottom. Plastering can be a rewarding
experience. Anyway, ...

I glued and screwed a piece of 3/4" plywood into the bottom of the
damaged treads, and then cleated that to the stair frame. (Be sure the
screws don't poke through.) I also screwed the risers into the back of
the treads.

So far (3 yrs), this has held up.