Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Unused Li-ion battery pack

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 12:02:23 +0000 (UTC), bz
wrote:

disfortunately, the grad-student owned machines only get brought to my
attention when they are infested or crashed.
(one machine had over 50,000 virus infected files! "My machine is running
slow.")

The most I've seen is about 2,500 files. However, I rate my infected
machines by the number of different viruses, worms, and spyware types
found (not including cookies) that are actively running. No points
for counting infected emails that haven't run. So far, about 20
different types is the worst I've seen where the machine is still
sorta running.

Budget and personnel restraints prevent us from doing regular PM on most
state owned machines.
However, as part of my normal 'virus clean up' (often backup data,
reformat, reinstall OS is the fastest and safest method) I do check the
hard drives for signs of impending failure.

Well, I have a partial solution. Keep the user out of places they
shouldn't be playing.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/sharedaccess/default.mspx
It wasn't really designed for the purpose, but it's sufficient to
prevent total beginners, arrogant grad students, and ivory tower
professors, from trashing the operating system. Plenty of other
solutions, but this is the one I like. As soon as they shutdown, the
computer returns to its original state. Once a month, the PC goes
into the shop for an update, lube job, and oil change. I have it
installed at 2 car wash kiosks and one middle skool classroom. Other
than having to establish an update regime, it works well.

Actually, you don't really need to install MS Steady State on every
laptop in your system. Just one or two and the word will get around.
After that, merely the threat of having it installed should be
sufficient to inspire the students to clean up their act.

Also, you're being too nice. Make it clear that they are responsible
for their own data backups. If they bring a machine to you for
cleanup and disinfection, they should assume that it will be wiped and
reloaded from scratch.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D