Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Sketchup Question

Jack Stein wrote:
Steve Turner wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:

My computer clock is set correctly, with the correct date and time,
and the correct time zone. My messages come back to me with the
correct time. It is 12:11 PM on my computer, on my watch, on my cell
phone, on my TV. What would you like me to change?

Interesting; you and I both have two posts only seconds apart to the
same server (eternal-september.org), and the NNTP-Posting-Date in the
headers reflect this:

mine: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 16:17:53 +0000 (UTC)
yours: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 16:17:04 +0000 (UTC)

Yet the dates displayed by my newsreader (Thunderbird) a

mine: 11:17am
yours: 12:16pm

Which are basically the times that we posted within our own local time
zones.

It is the exact time I sent my message, and it is the exact time that
shows up on my message in Tbird, and your time is showing 11:36 in your
message.

However, I don't see anything else in the message headers that
would indicate what our time zones *are*, so I'm not sure how this is
happening. I guess the eternal-september.org newserver must be
misconfigured somehow...?

I dunno. Before I posted my last message, I went to eternal-september to
see if perhaps I configured something wrong there like the wrong time
zone and didn't find anything. I don't think they do anything with the
time stamp, or my messages wouldn't be coming back to me with the
correct time stamp.

Is this how people on other servers are seeing things?

Maybe you are not seeing it Jack (any others?), but the side effect is
that your posts are appearing out of order with respect to when you
posted. Your posts are showing up after the follow-on replies.

Hey, you got me. My end *seems* correct to me. I took a cursory look
at things and everything appears correct on my end, so it's probably
me:-) It's 1:04 right as I'm posting...

I just looked at a BUNCH of different headers from a bunch of different
groups and posters (some whom I know to be in your time zone), posting
to a variety of news servers (including eternal-september) and they all
show time stamps with a 5-hour delta from the NNTP-Posting-Date entry,
except for yours; yours is 6 hours.

In the "Time Zone" tab of your "Date and Time Properties" (assuming
you're running Windows, of course) do you have the "Automatically adjust
clock for daylight saving changes" checked? (I do) I'm a programmer by
trade, and I've done a lot of messing around with time values in code,
and it's my considered opinion that this feature of Windows is *broken*.
If you have that turned off you might try turning it on to see what
the effect is. If it's already turned on, then I'm lost again. :-)

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/