Silvan

Default workbench finished: Sam Allen's joiner's bench with Veritas twin-screw end vise

Mike in Mystic wrote:

represents will still make it a joy to use. Since this is basically a
step up from a Workmate, there is no question that I'm going to be
thrilled to put it to use.

So far, the bestest thing about having a real workbench for me has been glue
day. I used to have to use these gigantic 48" pipe clamps for every little
thing that was bigger than 18". Of course, I still need the pipe clamps,
and can't ever have too many clamps, but the workbench is working out great
for this most of the time.

Only problem with mine so far is that my two most-used dog holes are already
wallowing out badly. Yes, that's the price I paid for grafting a poplar
top onto a pine substructure to make my own cheapass imitation of the bench
you're talking about. I understand that, but I was still hoping it would
be longer before I'd have to think up some way to make bushings for the
thing.

Let me know what you think!

I think you must be an aspiring Ted Turner or something. Looks for all the
world like you ripped off some photos from Sam's book and colorized
them.

Looks a lot better than my Frankenstein monster, but I'll bet it cost me
less to get the functionality I wanted out of my grossly unsuitable bench.
($0.)

How does that whole truss rod setup work in the field? I'm thinking about
retrofitting my bench with some judiciously-placed rods to try to improve
its ability to resist wracking.

How about weight? Is it pretty solid, or does it want to scoot around on
you?

Anyway, you executed that beautifully!

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan