Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Rockwell planer, any comments on this beast 13x6

Ignoramus19678 wrote:
Sorry., The right URL is

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Rockwell-13-by-6-Planer/

The old URL is a redirector to this better one.

On 2009-10-09, Ignoramus19678 wrote:
This is a Rockwell 13x6 planer. The motor is 3 HP Baldor single phase.

When I bought it for $20, it was in parts. When I agreed to buy it, I
did not even realize that it was a planer. At first, I thought I was
buying a pile of worthless metal parts plus a 3 HP single phase motor.

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...3-by-6-Planer/

I would like some comments, specifically perhaps any planer-related
warnings and things to double check before first power up.

The reason why it was a pile of parts and not a working planer, is
that the cast iron table is cracked. However, the parts included a
replacement table, still in shipping plywood. They set this planer
aside when table broke, bought the replacement table, and never got
around to replacing it, so it sat like this for years.

So, my second question is, how hard is it to replace the table on
those things, does it require a deep disassembly or not.

Ah....a Model 13. Got's one of them meself; they're nice small
beasties. As an aside, mine came from a group of 27(!) installed in a
NC furniture manufacturing facility. They had them set up in 9 rows of
three, each at a fixed thickness with each row taking outfeed of
previous and then on to thickness sander for final dimensioning.

Anyway, it's been a long time since had mine fully disassembled but
they're straightforward and, yes, you'll have to fully remove the
opposite side casting to replace the table---well, wait a minute--let me
think....No, I think you can--well, no, that was a bad thought, the
casting in the middle between the feed rollers is wider than the
clearance between the top I'm pretty sure now.

Anyway, they're not difficult to work on; the assembly is
straightforward and there aren't that many little parts in the main
body. Keep track of the shims/wave washers on the pressure and drive
rollers is about the most complicated it gets.

The key adjustment to make these puppies run well is adjusting the
height of the chipbreaker bar to be just above the knife cutting
circle--too low and material drags; too high and it may chatter and
snipe is bad.

The manual which I note somebody posted a link to from owwm has
instructions for making a guide block for setting the knives--that
method works but I've found a dial indicator w/ a straight adapter after
close really tunes it up.

Oh, and be sure to adjust the table to get it precisely parallel to the
cutterhead so your stock will come out same thickness across the width
w/o having to mount the knives cockeyed.

Good find...