Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Battery leakage cleanup

On Oct 9, 1:42*am, "John D. Farr" wrote:
Greetings. I have a Nikon flash that had batteries left in it. It
cleaned up very nicely except one piece that has recessed contacts. I
can't get to them to mechanically clean them. Does anyone know of a
chemical process that will clean them up? They are in plastic and
probably plated brass. Thanks, John

Were plated brass, more likely. Best thing you can do is split the
case on the flash and mop out the residue. What you use to neutralize
the electrolyte depends on what leaked. Alkalines and nicads both
will need a dilute acid. I say to split the case because that stuff
wicks up into the attaching wires and will eventually eat the wires,
leaving a hollow tube full of crap. Had that happen on a light meter
once. Wire looked perfectly OK from the outside, inside was nothing
conductive. And with the plating gone, the contacts will be nothing
but rough pitted brass that will tarnish and won't be that conductive
after mopping off the crap. You'll need to sand them off to get some
bright metal to make up with the battery terminals.

Stan