Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default Battery leakage cleanup

Wild_Bill wrote:
Vinegar or other mild acid (citric etc) will clean up much of the
residue after alkaline batteries leak (dunno what battery type you used).

If the leakage took place a while ago (equipment left in a drawer/closet
for months), it's fairly likely that the liquid ooze from the batteries
has wicked along any wires connected to the battery terminals. The
liquid can travel inside stranded wire by a capillary action, destroying
the copper wire in time.
I've seen many instances of this type of internal damage.

To be thorough, the unit should be opened to examine the extent of the
contamination, cleaned and/or repaired a required.

I had a very nice Ricoh flash unit damaged this way.
I never found a solution (pun accidental)