Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Battery leakage cleanup

Vinegar or other mild acid (citric etc) will clean up much of the residue
after alkaline batteries leak (dunno what battery type you used).

If the leakage took place a while ago (equipment left in a drawer/closet for
months), it's fairly likely that the liquid ooze from the batteries has
wicked along any wires connected to the battery terminals. The liquid can
travel inside stranded wire by a capillary action, destroying the copper
wire in time.
I've seen many instances of this type of internal damage.

To be thorough, the unit should be opened to examine the extent of the
contamination, cleaned and/or repaired a required.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"John D. Farr" wrote in message
Greetings. I have a Nikon flash that had batteries left in it. It cleaned
up very nicely except one piece that has recessed contacts. I can't get to
them to mechanically clean them. Does anyone know of a chemical process
that will clean them up? They are in plastic and probably plated brass.
Thanks, John