Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default When is a lead-acid battery charged?

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article
,
D.M. Procida wrote:
It's a car battery.

Generally most home chargers are pretty weedy and car batteries are fairly
tolerant. All you really need to do is charge it sufficiently to start the
car and then let its charging system worry about topping it up. Overnight
is usually good enough for this.

5 minutes charge with one of those was enough to get one start,
when a family member flattened their battery with lights left on.
IIRC, they charge at just under 4A.

Incidentally, Lidl have their rather fine chargers on sale again from next
Monday. They can be left on indefinitely since they switch to a
maintenance charge when the battery is 'full'. They've gone up since last
time - now 15 quid - but still very worth it. Enough output to charge most
batteries overnight.

I bought one for £12, IIRC (Aldi or Lidl, can't recall,
a year or two back). When I went back later, they were
reduced to half price, so I bought 2 more. They are very
nice units. Elsewhere, they could be found for around £40.

What would be _really_ nice is if they had a switch setting
to automatically start charging when mains is applied. That
could be the basis for an effective automatic emergency supply.
Sadly, they don't do this.

--
Andrew Gabriel