Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Stair tread replacement

Bernie Hunt wrote:
I removed the carpet from our stairs and there are two treads that are
split. I don't have access to the bottom due to a plaster ceiling
underneath. The treads are high on the flight so both ends of the tread are
encapsulated in a dado in the stringer. I'd like to remove and replace the
treads.

Getting the old tread out will be messy but quite possible. I figure to
plunge cut into the middle with either a circular saw or a Fien with the
right blade. My question is how to get the new tread installed?

Any suggestions? I have a full woodworking shop, so very little is not
possible. I've just never worked on a stair case with both sides
encapsulated into the stringers before.

Here is a picture of the left and right sides of the stair tread.
http://www.cybertecservices.com/files/imag0110.jpg
http://www.cybertecservices.com/files/imag0111.jpg

Thanks,
Bernie

Uh, from the pictures, it looks like those things on the side aren't the
actual stringers, they are just trim boards that were applied after the
walls were plastered. Easy check for that would be tapping a thin putty
knife down behind them at the wall surface. They would be a major PITA
to remove without destroying them, however. And unless your local stair
part specialty dealer has matching trim boards, they would also be a
major pain to duplicate. I suppose if you have a woodshop, you could
carve out the trim panel on just the damaged steps, and mill a slightly
oversize short replacement, and patch it back in and putty it, since the
trim looks to be painted.

But having said all that, where are the treads split? Deep in the field,
or at the usual location right above the kerf for the riser in front? If
the latter, injecting glue, and inserting long screws through the nose
of the tread, with dowel plugs to cover, may be enough to save the
existing treads with a lot less work. Look on the 'ask this old house'
web site. A recent rerun episode on one of the cable channels had a demo
of the procedure. Not sure where you would find the stepped drill bit
they used- never seen them at the big-box stores, but I have never
looked for them. One of the woodworking specialty suppliers probably has
them. For a split deep in the field, I'd try injecting glue, and while
you press on the front of the tread somehow, insert long 16d finish
nails or screws at an angle through the ends of the treads, to try and
catch the stringers. How wide are the steps? There should be a stringer
up the middle as well, unless they are narrow. Both of these possible
cures fall into the 'you can't make it any worse' category.

I'd also ask over on rec.woodworking. Traditional fitted staircases like
this count as cabinetry, not carpentry, so they won't chase you away.

Oh, and standard warning about wood staircases being ultra-slippery for
kids wearing socks, and grownups with balance problems, applies. When
you refinish, make sure to go with a finish that doesn't have a slick
surface.

--
aem sends...