Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] adrian@cam.cornell.edu is offline

Default drawer slides: side to side play normal?

I'm making a file cabinet and I installed the first drawer using
Accuride 4043 drawer slides. These are a type with the rails that
ride on top of other rails so the whole slide is about 3 inches wide.
After installation, I found that it seems to work fine, but the drawer
will shift from side to side by about 3/16". I'm concerned that this
will be a problem because I'm doing inset drawers and have cut the
drawer fronts 5/64" narrower than the opening. The user will be able
to shift the drawer over far enough that the drawer front hits the
frame.

Is this amount of side to side play normal? Other "light duty" sides
I have around the house don't seem to do this.