Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA[_2_] Andrew VK3BFA[_2_] is offline

Default Milling lesson

On Oct 6, 9:19*pm, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 03:05:53 -0700 (PDT), Andrew VK3BFA

wrote:
On Oct 5, 12:01*pm, "Michael Koblic" wrote:
I need a small slot in my sundial bases. Usually I pre-drill the hole
(either 3/16" or 1/4") and then extend by 0.075" (1/4" hole) or 0.50" (3/16"
hole) the material is 3/8" key stock, galvanized, made in USA. The mill is a
generic X2, the mill bits are Chinese box set.

Ah, nostalgia........................

I posted *a similar query (almost identical, really)ages ago *and DON
Nichols kind response was that I was trying to do several years of
shop in 20 minutes (or something to that effect) and he was right.
Thanks DON. Went and enrolled at a apprentice level course , still
there, still finding creative ways of stuffing things up...

My mill is an X2 - and does the same as yours - what I have found is:-
vibration is the killer - it will do God knows what if its not
rigidly, VERY rigidly bolted down. And even then, its really only good
for plastic/aluminium, its design limitations are that its a cheap
Chinese mill. *If its vibrating, or the bench its on is vibrating,
then its too much.
You will break cutters through vibration - think about it, the thing
is being bounced around like blazes, no wonder their wearing out fast.
Your expecting a bit too much from it - I would suggest cutting
multiple small slots, creeping up on the final size. Speed? - almost
irrelevant here as the thing doesnt have a tachometer, or a power feed
- you have to go by ear, and you will develop this in time. What sort
of vise are you using? - if its one of the ones that can swivel on its
base, take off the base and mount it directly on the table. It helps.
Are you using the proper sized holder for the bit, not just the Jacobs
chuck you use for drilling?. Have you set up the mill properly (or at
least tried to) - out of the box, their pretty shocking, play in the
gibs, out of plump, lotsa backlash. The belt drive conversion helps
too - makes them a lot smoother, you have probably broken a tooth in
the gearbox by now (stick it in low range, manually turn the spindle -
it should be smooth ALL the way *round, if there's a "click at one
spot, then a (plastic) gear is broken. Google X2, there's HEAPS of
information/mods for the things....

AND - finally - yes, if you have a decent industrial machine, (and you
have 3-phase power and a BIG workshop) as mentioned, then these
problems dont exist - any machine that takes a forklift or trained
riggers to move it is going to be more rigid, with more power, and
built to tighter tolerances so things like you describe are ho-hum,
run of the mill sort of thing. But, when you do make a mistake, 5hp
will throw something a lot further and with greater terminal velocity
than the X2... when and if you can, upgrade to the X3, its
significantly better, or take the industrial machine route if you so
desire and can get it past SWMBO.....

Good luck - it will drive you absolutely NUTS, the learning curve is
near vertical to start with, but after a while things start to get
better/easier ...which means you start trying to do more complex
things, so its a lifelong process.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Very very well said! *Kudos!!

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Faaaaarrrrkkk! - Gunner, you still have the capacity to blow me away
sometimes - thank you - a lot of what I have learnt is from this
group, even the political Neanderthals.......
Andrew VK3BFA.