Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Coating for bare steel wire?

Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:
Winston wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Winston wrote:
How would you approach this particular challenge?
Magnet wire. E.g., from a MOT. Bob

I've got the current - carrying wire handled.
That'll be enamel - insulated copper, equivalent
to the magnet wire you mention. The challenge
is in sourcing some insulated iron or mild steel
that can be easily formed into a core for the
magnetic (not electrical) circuit.

Gut a busted microwave oven and rewind the transformer.

I want a longish "E" core in hopes that I could
concentrate a large amount of flux off the end
of a smallish pole piece. (Quiet, Larry)

Thanks!

--Winston

--

I'm still waiting for another sublime, transcendent flash of adequacy.